Monday, July 18, 2011

DIY: Dishwasher Detergent

I've seen a lot of talk about phosphates.  I've noticed that a lot of cleaning supplies advertise being phosphate free.  I don't really know a lot about phosphates, so I decided to do a little research and I found that phosphates are bad for the environment as they basically eat up oxygen in streams and other water sources. (For more detailed info about phosphate, I found great information here and here.)

Along with this, I also started noticing that the taste of the cups my son drinks out of taste like the dishwasher detergent.  I assume it's because his cups are plastic, since I don't notice it on our glass cups as much.  This really bothered me, so I had to come up with another solution.  A greener and healthier approach to dishwasher detergent, that didn't contain harsh chemicals (and sometimes petroleum based products!)

Here is my recipe:
2 cups borax
2 cups washing soda
1 cup kosher salt
1.5 cups LemiShine (Depending on how hard your water is, you can use 1 to 2 cups LemiShine.)

You use this mixture where you would traditionally put your detergent, and then add white vinegar to the rinse aid area.  This helps prevent spots and coating on your dishes!  We've used this for about a week now, and it gets the dishes clean and I no longer taste or smell the dishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment