Saturday, July 9, 2011

Homemade Teriyaki Sauce

Years ago, before EatCrunchy was even thought of, I had high blood pressure.  I actually developed it during my pregnancy and even after birth, it didn't go away.  I knew I had to get off the medication I was taking.  I never really noticed or cared about the level of sodium I consumed.  When people said processed foods had more sodium, I didn't realize HOW much sodium they contained.  I didn't eat processed food all the time, I figured (processed in my mind being frozen pizzas and such), so I didn't need to change that.  What I didn't realize was there was danger lurking in almost anything prepackaged!  All those convenience items I had loved so much were detrimental to my health.  So I resolved to cut back on those items and begin making more from scratch meals.

I learned I could eat nearly the same meals I enjoyed before with less sodium (and as a side benefit of fewer calories, and less chemicals) by just taking more time to prepare them myself.  Today, I made homemade teriyaki sauce.  The benefit to making your own means you know exactly what's in it, and if you want organic teriyaki, use organic ingredients!  Cheap, and way easier than I thought!

1/4 soy sauce (I used Whole Foods 265 brand, organic)
1 cup, plus 1/4 cup water
3 slices ginger (smashed)
4 cloves garlic (smashed)
4 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp honey (I used local honey)
1 tbsp corn starch


Get a pot, mix soy sauce, brown sugar, honey, garlic, ginger, and 1 cup water.  They heat up on low to medium heat and stir.  Before it comes to boil, combine 1 tbsp corn starch and 1/4 cup water and mix together (free from lumps).  Then stir the cornstarch mixture into the pot.  Turn the heat down and it should start to thicken.  Keep stirring until you get close to the consistency you want.  (It'll thicken one you take it off the heat and it cools.)  Then pick out the garlic and ginger and enjoy!

We enjoy this over chicken and whole wheat couscous and veggies.  My almost 2 year old was mmm mmmming with each bite!  Which, of course, made me as a mom, so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment