Friday, October 28, 2011

Spaghetti Squash Casserole!


For my Monday Diabetic Friendly meal, I made a spaghetti squash casserole.  It was so simple, and I was surprised by how much I loved the spaghetti squash.  I was skeptical, but it turned out well.  I thought I could trick my son into eating it, after all, it DID look like spaghetti, right?  But to no avail.  So while I would call this a success for a low carb, high veggie meal, I would not call it child-friendly.


1 small spaghetti squash (1-1/2 to 2 pounds)
1/2 cup water
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
1 can (6 ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (or Italian Seasoning)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

Cut squash in half lengthwise; scoop out seeds. Place with cut side down in a baking dish; add water. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until it is easily pierced with a fork. When cool enough to handle, scoop out squash, separating the strands with a fork.


 In a skillet, cook beef, onion, red pepper and garlic until meat is browned and the vegetables are tender. Drain; add tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano, salt, pepper and squash. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Transfer to an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and parsley.


No comments:

Post a Comment