Thursday, November 3, 2011

Make Your Own Chicken Stock

So, for the first time I made a whole chicken.  Yes, the whole thing!  I've always been intimidated by them, but I got some new bakeware and I wanted to try it out, so I bought a whole chicken.  Still initimidated by the thought, I left it in the freezer for about a week before I ventured on.  It cooked successfully and I was pleased.  But this post isn't about the chicken (well, sort of).  It's about the carcass (dun dun duuuuun).  I had always heard of using every bit of the chicken and another thing that intimidated me was using the leftover chicken.

So I got my carcass, put it in a big pot of water and added what I had in the house, celery, carrots, parsley, onion, salt and pepper.  I brought it to a boil, then turned it down to simmer for at least 4 hours.  It was more than 4 but less than 6- but honestly you can let it simmer for however long you like.  Just add water as it is needed.

(FYI, chicken STOCK is made with bones, whereas chicken BROTH is made with meat only.... the more you know....)

It came out great!  And I have several cups of frozen organic free-range chicken stock in the freezer.  I got so much use out of this chicken!  You could even do this with your leftover premade rotisserie chickens (this is what fellow blogger Rebecca does with leftover Whole Foods chickens- which often go on sale, by the way.)
Here's just the chicken in the pot.  I added enough water just to cover the carcass.
 Rolling boil- this is about when I remembered to add the other ingredients.
 Don't forget to skim the top (that's fat folks, you don't want added fat!)
 Strain!

 Place in container!
 And freeze!



No comments:

Post a Comment