Monday, December 5, 2011

UPC Food Search

I told you I'd be back.  I'm happy to report I'm now pain free!  As for whether or not I'm kidney stone free, well- only time (and an x-ray the next time I visit my urologist) can tell.

So while on my little sabbatical- I spent a lot of time surfing the internet.  I found a really awesome tool that helps identify a little more about what's in your food.  It doesn't get too specific for each item, but it does help one start challenging their pantry.

So, the first thing I decided to look up was Cheerios.  My son loves Cheerios and they are so much cheaper than the organic oat cereal in the grocery store.  A quick search of the UPC (you can also search by name) and you can find great information like this:

Awesome, right?

So then I decided to look up an old favorite that I enjoyed thoroughly throughout college.  Totino's Pizzas.

Check out how many more ingredients there are and how many are artificial!  Sometimes I can't believe I put that in my body!!

So check out your favorite foods and see what's in yours.  This site also has information about country of origin and GMO content (some, not all products).






No comments:

Post a Comment