Thursday, January 19, 2012

Hard Shell for Ice Cream

I go through phases of love for ice cream.  Normally, I can have it sit in my freezer for extended amounts of times and have none of it.  But every once in awhile, I can't resist it's creamy and delicious goodness.  So when I was walking through the aisles of Sprout's and saw this little number, well- something beckoned me to put it in my cart.


 Now, normally, I enjoy a good mint chocolate chip, or perhaps a cookie dough.  It used to be my favorite kind of ice cream was cookies and cream, but even since I discovered the recipe I'm about to show you, my favorite ice cream has been vanilla.  You'll see why and you'll love me for it.

Make your own hard chocolate shell at home with just 2 ingredients.  Yes, just 2.  And most of you probably have the ingredients on hand, and if you don't, they're easy to obtain.  Buckle your seat belts readers- here comes my favorite recipe posting of all time.

1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate, the milk and semi sweet made the shell a little too sweet and besides, if I used dark chocolate I could convince myself it was healthy)
3 tablespoons coconut oil













Place the two ingredients into a microwave safe bowl, microwave for 1 minute.  Take it out and stir.  Repeat until all chips are melted.  Ta da, you're done.  Now put it over a bowl of delicious ice cream, wait a minute, and the magic of hard shell will occur!


You'll notice the pictures are with chocolate ice cream.  Well, that's because when I made it the first time I couldn't resist the deliciousness and ate it before I took a picture.  Then the second time I made it, I accidentally deleted the pictures off my camera, so sadly (or really miraculously) I had to make it a third time and poured it over my husband's frozen yogurt- which was good, but not as awesome as my vanilla bean ice cream combo.

Place the remaining portion in a container and keep for later!

No comments:

Post a Comment