Thursday, May 3, 2012

Filippo Berio Olive Oil Review

 I had the opportunity to receive some Filippo Berio Olive Oil as part of BzzAgent.com.  Now, I want to say that although I did receive this item for free, I am giving you my honest opinion.  Actually, there are lots of products that I receive to review, some I don't pass along because I don't feel like they meet my high quality standards... but this one is A-MA-ZING.
 

For years I've tried making that Oh So Easy looking oil dip that you find at the Fancy Schmancy Italian Restaurants, and for years I've failed to find an olive oil that was tasty.  Seriously, they all failed.  So when I got this olive oil yesterday in the mail, I knew that the first thing I was going to do was make a dip for oil.  And second I was going to make hummus.  Those are quite possibly my favorite two things in all the land of olive oil.

So, for the dip, I simply took a tablespoon of Filippo Berio Olive Oil and mixed it with a smidge of salt and some ground pepper.  While I love bread, I'm currently eating less of it because carbs and my waistline don't get along, so I chopped up some celery from Bountiful Baskets and tried it with that.  This was the first time I've ever WANTED to eat celery that wasn't smothered in ranch.  It was really good, I ate so much, I was full by the time I got to dinner.


But, because I'm dedicated to our readers, I kept on trucking and I made hummus.  I'm SO glad I did, because it was delicious!  Here's my recipe:

One can garbanzo beans, rinsed.  Rinsing takes away some of the stuff they use to can it, and reduces sodium- if you chose a can that has added salt.  Or, you can make your own.

Two Tablespoons Tahini (that's that peanut buttery looking thing to the right.)  My mom uses peanut butter, but I like the lightness of flavor that Tahini gives.  Two cloves of garlic and the juice from two lemons.
About two tablespoons of olive oil.  I used about 1 and then added some until it got creamy to the texture I like.  
So stinkin' good.  In fact, right now I'm eating it with tomatoes!  YUM.
Now, you COULD leave well enough alone and eat it just like that, but see, I had this beautiful stuff in my fridge (cilantro) and I had to have some in it.  The added cilantro gives it an added fresh flavor that's irresistible.

Final product.  Delicious, creamy, savory and a tinge sweet, this recipe is to fall over backwards for every time.  Hummus is an all time favorite of mine.  I mean, truly delicious.  I hope you enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment