Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas

So in an effort to make more things from scratch, I made tortillas.  They were actually a lot simpler than I had anticipated.  My biggest challenge was getting them thin enough- which you'll see in the pictures.  Here's my recipe!

2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups white flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons of oil (I used coconut oil)
1 cup or so of warm water

Mix together the dry ingredients, then add your oil and water to form a dough.  Add more water until the dough forms a small ball.  Knead and let rest for a few minutes.

Divide the dough into 12-24 balls depending on how large you want your tortillas.  I made about 18 8-inch tortillas.

Place shallow pan on stove and heat.  Roll out a dough ball to form a circle, very thin.  Then place in the pan about 30 seconds on each side.  While one is cooking, roll out another one and proceed as such.




No comments:

Post a Comment